Willis Towers Watson
Our software development group has locations in Great Britain, Germany, Portugal and the Philippines, designing, developing and maintaining a suite of internal, client and member-facing software predominantly for use in the EMEA and Asia-Pacific region.
As a Technical Operations manager for the Retirement Software Group, you are responsible for planning, coordinating and executing the technical management of the team and systems supporting core infrastructure underpinning our software development process and live production operations.
Our infrastructure is broad ranging and Microsoft centric, covering large scale Client Server,
Web / Web Service implementations with MS SQL at the heart of our systems and a move to “Cloud First” and “DevOps” as the next step.
You are responsible for day to day operations ensuring the team (Technical Operations) are organised to maximise their effectiveness and the systems supporting our business operations are appropriate, secure, scaled and available.
You fit our profile well if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be a hands on team manager with experience in IT Infrastructure / operations in a software development environment
- You must hold a detailed understanding of IT operations with demonstrable success with Microsoft centric server infrastructures on-premise, as well as a broad understanding of cloud infrastructures built up in a commercial environment
- You must have significant people and leadership skills and the ability to communicate and present effectively and at an appropriate level when dealing with peers, clients or senior leadership
- You must have flexibility to manage successfully in a business critical support environment, think clearly under pressure and make informed decisions to abort, rollback or fix deployments of both infrastructure software as well as the software applications
- Able to quickly understand the operating infrastructure and business domain supported by the software group and orchestrate resourcing, infrastructure and process to maximize the value and performance of this
- Previous experience managing multi-location teams across multiple time zones
- Directly manage work allocation, prioritisation and oversee quality of output to build successful delivery pipelines
- Define policies and processes related specifically to maintaining and improving support / delivery
- Share knowledge across your team and build opportunities for individuals to grow and learn to satisfy demand
- Be motivated and results oriented even under pressure maintaining high quality support services to tight or immovable deadlines
- Act as a team player; communicating and working effectively within a multi-skilled technical team and wider group.
Equal opportunity employer