City of London
This is a really exciting opportunity for a highly organised and enthusiastic individual with a background in corporate communications, to join our growing corporate communications team based at our Head Office in Wimbledon, South West London.
Since establishing itself in Great Britain in 1994, Lidl has continued to grow at pace and today has more than 790 stores in England, Scotland and Wales. As the fastest growing supermarket in Britain, building and protecting Lidl’s brand and reputation is more important than ever. Working closely with the Press Office Assistant and reporting directly into the Senior Corporate Communications Manager, you’ll play an integral role within the team,
managing the busy press office and working across multiple corporate issues and projects. You’ll need to be a people person, with impeccable writing skills and attention to detail, an unflappable attitude to high pressure situations. and the ability to work with personnel at all levels across the business.
Please note that the internal title of the position is 'Corporate Communications Officer'
What will you do?
- Working with the team to devise and implement Lidl GB’s corporate communications strategy
- Day-to-day management of Lidl’s busy press office, investigating and responding to enquiries on a range of subject matters
- Building and coordinating national, regional and trade business announcements regarding corporate topics including expansion plans, CSR commitments, and HR policies
- Developing communications materials including letters, briefing documents, press releases, presentations, background research
- Providing counsel to internal stakeholders on corporate affairs matters
- Developing company messaging alongside internal stakeholders
- Managing property communication plans and liaising with regional teams on all proactive and reactive expansion news
- Assisting with issues and crisis management
- Supporting with public affairs activity and delivery of stakeholder engagement plans
- Management of event logistics and coordination
- Assisting in the management of the corporate comms agency team
- Overseeing and updating Lidl’s corporate website with latest facts, figures and press releases
- Management of Lidl’s media monitoring service
- Staying on top of wider news agenda - informing communications team of relevant stories
- Helping to coordinate and facilitate media training for nominated spokespeople
- Leading on management of strategic business awards
- Compiling and coordinating reports on a weekly, monthly and annual basis
- Managing budget and invoice processing
- Deputising for corporate communications manager in their absence and providing day-to-day support for the press office assistant
What will you need?
- Previous experience within a corporate communications role either at an agency of in-house
- Experience working with retailers or big brands, and a substantial understanding and knowledge of the retail sector and the role of Lidl within it
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong time management skills and the ability to work across several projects at once
- Natural flair for problem solving
- Proactive and hands on, with a drive to continuously improve
- Exceptional writing skills, with an eye for detail and the ability to adapt to the company’s tone of voice
- Ability to predict the media agendas and respond to them effectively
- Strong knowledge of the UK media landscape and good media contacts
- Unflappable in high pressure situations
- Always acting with integrity and discretion
- Public Affairs experience would be advantageous
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and competency working with internal teams as well as with people across all levels of the business and external partners
- German language skills would be advantageous but are not essential
- Flexible and willing to work, on occasion, outside of normal workings hours to deal with or escalate issues that arise
What do we offer?
- £27,000 - £33,000 (subject to experience)
- 10% London Weighting benefit (non contractual) for employees working within the M25
- 30 days holiday per annum (pro rata, including Bank Holidays)
- A contributory pension scheme
- 10% discount on all Lidl products, in all stores throughout the UK
- Access to corporate discounts on a range of products and services (including holidays, home and garden products, leisure activities and more)
- Initial training and on-going development from an experienced team member