City of London
Job Title: BMS Mobile Units South of England
Location: South of England
Job Type: BMS Locum
Job Starts: ASAP
Maxxima are currently recruiting for a BMS for a mobile units project testing for Covid in surge areas in the South of the UK.
The pay rate for this role is £30 - £5 an hour plus expenses and uplift rates on weeeknds.
Requirements of this BMS vacancy:
Microbiology, Virology or Blood Sciences background.
Location: Mobile Processing Units (MPUs) to be deployed within the South of England (primarily) or across UK if required. Specimen Reception Area and General Laboratory – covering LAMP testing of samples for COVID-19.
Reporting to: Senior BMS
Liaises with: BMS,
CSO, other departments and colleagues.
1. Overall Job Purpose:
To assist in the daily running of the Mobile Processing Unit (MPU) laboratory as a multi-disciplinary BMS in blood sciences. To perform and manage the analysis of COVID-19 swab samples using LAMP technology. The van service is delivered in partnership with Remote Medical International (RMI) and London Medical Laboratory (LML). To maintain the highest professional and technical standards in the MPU. To perform that work which you are assigned, ensuring that it meets all standards as required by UKAS under ISO 15189. In conjunction with your line manager, to work closely in the preparation and processing of samples for analysis. To adhere to analytical SOP’s and to assist in putting these methods into practice and adhering to associated quality control procedures.
2. Duties and ResponsibilitiesMain DutiesTo include but not restricted to the following:
- To focus in the management of the mobile laboratories and performance of LAMP testing within the MPUs
- To work in other areas of the laboratory as it may be required (dependent on qualifications, experience, and training) performing all designated duties in accordance with local working practices whilst maintaining high Professional standards and conforming to Health and Safety regulations.
- Maintain the standards of conduct required by the HCPC to practice as a registered Biomedical Scientist.
- Provide technical advice and support to the MPU team and RMI site officers as required.
- Perform routine biomedical investigations and participate daily in the scientific and technical activities of the laboratory, reporting back to the Laboratory/Operations manager on a regular basis.
- Utilise the laboratory LIMS, Document management system, quality monitoring system and other application software according to authorised protocols including assisting in computer data entry in all areas of the laboratory.
- Communicate efficiently, courteously and with clarity at all times, whether face to face, telephone or electronic methods referring enquiries to senior staff where appropriate. Matters being communicated may include complex information and/or results.
- Attend and participate positively in laboratory and other meetings as directed by the Laboratory/Operations manager.
- As directed by senior laboratory staff, plan and prioritise work allocations, audits, and any other activities in whichever way is appropriate to the needs of laboratory.
- Provide supervision, training and professional leadership to junior staff which includes monitoring their performance against laboratory standards and their training plans.
- Encourage active participation in continuous professional development and support the introduction of new technologies and / or systems by being a change advocate, and active contributor to the laboratory.
- Use consumables and equipment responsibly and efficiently and advise site manager when stocks of reagents and consumables are approaching minimum stock levels.
- Assist with the production, maintenance and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures using the Q-Pulse Quality Management System as directed by senior staff.
- Report all incidents and adverse events to senior staff and keep a log of the details and outcomes, as necessary.
- Perform risk assessments, COSHH assessments and incident reporting.
- Perform audit as directed by Senior BMS.
- Promote LEAN working to ensure a safe, tidy, efficient workplace and to advise on improvements in own area completing quality improvement notes if appropriate.
- Ensure accuracy of patient data recorded in the laboratory computer system.
- Perform quality control procedures and examine results to identify poor performance instigating appropriate action and bringing to the attention of senior staff.
- Demonstrate on going competency against training plans and participate positively in CPD (continuous professional development) activities.
- Other duties as specified by the Laboratory Manager.
Health and Safety
- Observe safety regulations and attend mandatory fire, manual handling and other courses as required.
- Assist in the investigations of any incidents.
- Participate in risk assessment monitoring.
- Ensure that the equipment within area of work is maintained and operated as per SOP’s.
3. GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (LABORATORY STAFF)
General Duties and Responsibilities (laboratory staff)
- To become familiar with the day – to day organisation of the Laboratory as it affects your work. You should be aware of the functions of the members of staff in the Laboratory as they affect your work.
- To attend laboratory meetings as required.
- To undertake such work as you are assigned in a careful and efficient way and in compliance with current quality standards, regulatory requirements and the LML Quality Management System.
- To communicate in a friendly, helpful, and non-prejudicial manner in your dealings with staff, clients and / or customers as you will be regarded as a representative of your Laboratory as well as the Company, and you should behave accordingly. Matters regarding patients are confidential and shall not be discussed except in the course of your duties. You will be expected to sign an undertaking to observe all patient and Company confidentiality.
- To be aware of and abide by the rules and codes of the Laboratory. This includes all core HR policies such as absence reporting, requesting of annual leave, and is particularly important in the case of Health and Safety and Fire procedures (please see below).
- To behave in a professional manner and always co-operate with all other members of staff.
- You will be trained for the work you are expected to do. Do not attempt any work unless you have been signed off as competent to do so. These competencies should be maintained and reviewed. You should communicate any difficulties, problems, accidents, or incidents affecting the department as soon as possible to a section leader/manager.
- To maintain high standards of work and meet locally set individual and team targets within your Laboratory.
- Everyone is responsible for ensuring their workspace is clean and tidy.
- Sample areas are to be disinfected at the start and finish of each day.
- Adherence to disposal protocols for clinical and general waste.
- Assist with the preparation, cleaning, decontamination of equipment and working areas.
ANNUAL JOINT REVIEW Your performance will be continually assessed for competence, development and training needs and formally reviewed annually at a Training and Development Review. This will allow you to contribute to the corporate objectives of the department and LML.
HEALTH AND SAFETY (H&S;)
- To be familiar and competent with procedures for dealing with the safe handling of biological and chemical materials in a laboratory environment.
- To be familiar and competent with procedures to deal with biological and chemical spillages in a safe manner.
- To be familiar and competent with procedures for the safe use of equipment used in the laboratory environment.
- Compliance with all infection control policies and procedures.
- Every employee must work in such a way as to minimise the risk of fire and accidents.
- To maintain safe and efficient standards of work within a safe workspace.
- To ensure all Occupational Health procedures are followed.
- To uphold the Quality Management System by understanding and observing the quality policies and procedures.
- To understand and perform all work in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures in order to ensure compliance with all local and national standards of work practice, e.g., CQC regulations, UKAS Accreditation.
- To comply with LML policies pertinent to Clinical Governance and Risk Management.
- To ensure quality control and assurance procedures are followed.
- To identify opportunities to improve efficiency in own area.
- To assist in the establishment, maintenance and review of the quality management system
- To ensure analytical accuracy and confidentiality of results observing rules laid down by the Data Protection Act and GDPR.
- To communicate any difficulties or problems to senior staff/Manager promptly
- To participate in the agreed audit programme as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- To provide support for less experienced colleagues as requested.
- To participate in peer training as requested by the line manager.
- To review and agree personal development, educational and training needs with the department Training Officer and appropriate Line Manager.
To maintain own personal development portfolio and training records
If you are interested in this vacancy, please apply by clicking the apply button. If you’d like more details about this role, contact the BMS team today – we always have time to take your call. If the role isn’t quite what you’re looking for, why not register with Maxxima today?
Why Work With Maxxima?
The minute you register with Maxxima, we make it about one thing: you. The first time we talk, you'll realise we know your speciality inside out. Our expert recruitment consultants are here to find you the very best opportunities and help you every step of the way in securing the best placement.
- Dedicated and experienced consultants
- Excellent and highly competitive rates of pay
- Exclusive opportunities you won’t find anywhere else
- Dedicated payroll consultant to ensure prompt payment
- Guidance and advice on CV and interview techniques
- Practical assistance with professional body registration
- A choice of PAYE, umbrella or LTD company payments
- Practical assistance with relocation, accommodation and DBS/CRB checks
- The security of working with a CCS supplier, established since 2001
Recommend a colleague:
Often, our candidates are so pleased with our service that they recommend us to their friends and colleagues. To encourage this and say thank you, we offer a referral bonus incentive.
The way it works is simple: if you introduce a candidate who is not previously known to Maxxima and we are successful in placing them, we will pay you up to £1,500. More information regarding referrals can be found on our website.