British Transport Police
City of London
British Transport Police (BTP) is recruiting for a Head of Transformation on a 23 Month Secondment/Fixed Term Contract paying £86,292.33 plus £2,700.10 London Allowance per annum (where applicable). The post is based at Force Headquarters in Camden, London but BTP supports agile working and would welcome applicants to be out-based at our HQ locations including Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Cardiff and Glasgow.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is currently working in the railway industry or in a policing/government background to play a vital role in driving strategic change and transformation.
BTP is the national police force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground,
across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
The strategic context is challenging. It sees significant changes to demand, the public voice, passenger trends, and fundamental rail reform through the Williams-Shapps proposals. Combined with opportunities and threats from new technology, emerging crime trends, changes to ways of working post pandemic, and resource constraints, it places a premium on how BTP works with others to best ensure public safety.
As Head of Transformation with BTP you will be central to understanding capability needs, integrating efforts with partners, managing resources and successfully delivering change, ensuring that BTP is a modern and inclusive organisation.
Working in close cooperation with the Chief Officer Group, functional heads, SROs, and stakeholders further duties and responsibilities will include:
- Lead business design and undertake the capability audit work by which strategic ambition, demand, service levels, capabilities and resources are aligned.
- Act as functional lead for the change portfolio.
- Deliver capital and project spend against objectives and budget
- Chair of programme delivery boards as required, and deputy chair of key investment and digital decision making authorities.
- Ensure horizon scanning to identify risks and exploit operational, technical, collaborative, commercial opportunities
- Ensure the highest level of situational awareness across the Force to ensure that transformational changes are embedded – culturally, operationally, and procedurally
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful candidate will be required to evidence the following skills:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Qualified in a relevant project discipline, at a senior (portfolio) level, such as PRINCE2, APM, or PMI.
- Qualifications and/or relevant experience in business improvement methodologies
- Evidenced experience in delivering complex transformation.
- Extensive Experience within Central Government or a Rail Body
- A detailed understanding of cultural modernisation to achieve inclusivity
- Outstanding planning, programming and leadership skills
- Extremely high standard of written and spoken communication
- Ability to negotiate and influence people on highly complex, sensitive or contentious issues
If you are interested in applying, then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary £86,292.33 plus £2,700.10 London Allowance per annum (where applicable)
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
Please note - If you are applying on secondment you must have agreement to be released from your current organisation before submitting an application.
BTP has undertaken a review of Police Staff pensions and as a result of this the Police Staff pension will be changing. The current police staff pension is a Defined Benefit scheme which is administered by the Railways Pension scheme. The new pension scheme which is launching is a Defined Contribution scheme which is administered by Royal London. The new pension scheme is awaiting formal approval and an introductory date is not finalised. The earliest this will be is June 2021. If you have an queries, please contact the recruitment team – [email protected]
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 5 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period for current substantive posting.