City of London
Senior Finance Business Partner [FP&A;]
About Network Rail
Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britains best employers and believe this starts with placing the people at the centre of everything we do!
Our ambition is to be responsive to passengers and freight users, and were empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take ownership for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We care about people, and were passionate about great service. We believe teamwork is key.
The Anglia route are seeking a Senior Finance Business Partner, reporting directly to the Finance Director, to proactively identify, plan and meet the finance needs to improve business performance. You'll positively challenge senior leaders, budgets and business activities to check the best business outcomes are delivered.
Additionally, there's a responsibility for delivering the executive reporting for Anglia, consolidating key metrics across all functions to produce weekly Vis, periodic PBR and quarterly QBR, scorecard and other reports, collaborating with the executive team.
About the role (External)
Daily activities will include, but not be limited to:
- Consolidate, review and provide advice and guidance on periodic financial results and forecasts to identify and monitor risks, opportunities and efficiencies to minimise any financial and legal impact.
- Provide recommendations on accounting guidelines and standards to ensure the business remains financially and legally compliant.
- Provide technical oversight of the periodic accounts, analysis and preparation of business plans and budgets to enable the business to make effective decisions.
- Develop, understand and influence the cost and income drivers to deliver the yearly business plan and manage the overall settlement by decision making.
- Influence, coach and challenge senior budget holders in understanding the impact of their period results and forecasts against budgets in order to lead their business more effectively and manage within budgeting limits.
- Proactively challenge budget holders plans and budget submissions, providing advice and new initiatives to save costs and be more efficient as an organisation.
- Drive, adapt and deliver deliverables for the function, highlighting any issues and trends with financial and other business results to aid decision makers to make efficiencies.
- Lead in budget holder key meetings on financial performance to provide financial advice to minimise risk and deliver good corporate governance.
- Develop and implement investment decisions and new business activities, working collaboratively with senior leaders to explore new opportunities and drive business performance.
- Providing oversight and reporting for the Opex efficiency portfolio, working closely with capex finance team for delivery of annual FPM glossy report.
- Responsible for the business planning drumbeat, liaison with regional planning team and maintaining a clear line of sight of our targets.
- Supporting Route Finance Board.
Can you demonstrate the following essential criteria?
- Membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant accounting body (CIMA/ACCA/ICAEW)
- Excellent partner engagement and communication skills all levels
- Successful relevant experience working in a complex financial environment including demonstrable experience in managing business risks, professional financial control and forward planning
- Proven record of budget management, governance and ability to understand and interpret commercial and financial landscapes
- Significant experience in managing ambiguity in a financial environment with strong evaluation and decision-making skills
- Excellent technical Financial and Accounting knowledge and application of that knowledge in a complex and commercial environment
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field, for example accounting and finance, business management or equivalent demonstrable experience in finance
It's not essential, but it's advantageous if you have:
- Experience of Oracle based systems
- Substantial experience within multiple finance areas
- Knowledge and technical expertise of Government accounting and relevant financial governance
- Understanding of project management principles and experience of managing complex projects to successful conclusion
How to apply (External)
Network Rail encourages applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other relevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal dedication to safety in their application!
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3,333 (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
We follow a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: Band 3C; £51,156 to £57,551. Closing date: 10-May-2021. Network Rail retain the right to close the advert early based on application volumes.