Associated British Ports
Location: Ipswich, GB
We’re the UK's largest ports operator with a network of 21 ports around Britain. We handle around one quarter of the UK's seaborne trade and contribute £7.5 billion to our economy every year.
It’s a story we’re proud of but it doesn’t end there. We’re transforming our business and embracing the future.
We offer a vast range of roles spanning the UK, all rooted in a culture that welcomes diversity, fosters talent, encourages internal movement and progression, and places safety as our number one priority.
Here at Associated British Ports (ABP) we are recruiting for a Marina Operations Assistant to join our team in the Ipswich Haven Marina and boatyard.
This is an excellent position for anyone with an interest in Marine activities, or who would like to work in an interesting and varied role.
Being part of the Marine Team of ABP East Anglia and reporting to the Marina Manager, the Marina Operations Assistant will assist in the hauling, launching and movement of boats both ashore and afloat. The Marina Operations Assistant will also ensure maintenance of the Marina and shore site.
This is a hands-on role and great for anyone that enjoys working outside. Excellent communication and teamworking is essential. Experience of plant, a RYA level 2 qualification and a VHF qualification is desirable, although the right person can be trained.
For this role we offer a competitive salary and a range of great benefits. Please note this role will include weekend working.
- Maintain a professional Marina operation ensuring that all customers and visitors enjoy a well-presented, professional environment.
- Ensure the highest standards of service are delivered throughout.
- Ensure work completed is compliant with Health and Safety Legislation and adhere to Risk Assessments / SSOW / ABP Health & Safety Policy.
- Report any non-conformities to the Marina Manager.
- Carry out mooring duties and berthing of vessels.
- Carry out housekeeping and maintenance of the Marina area to ensure tidiness of Marina facilities.
- Serving of diesel fuel to Ipswich Haven Marina customers.
- Assist with general office duties.
- To work in the yard when busy as and when required, to include the operation of boat hoists, towing of vessels and forklift truck.
- Operate the Lock in Ipswich Dock
- Be part of the Oil Pollution Prevention Team for East Anglia.
- Any other duties as required, which may include short-term secondment to Ipswich/Lowestoft Marine teams
Competencies, Skills, Experiences & Qualifications
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, including the ability to successfully communicate with the public, other employees and customers.
- Ability to deliver the ethos of exceptional customer service and always seeking to improve quality and service for both internal / external stakeholders
- Good knowledge and ability with MS Office Suite programs (MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proven ability to work with minimum of supervision and within a small team
- Have a good working ethic and appreciate the majority of the work will be outside and in all weathers
- Willing to work extended hours/weekends/Bank Holidays as required, as part of rota
- Some knowledge/experience of all aspects of small and large vessels
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Fork Lift Truck license
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Qualification
- VHF Operator Qualification
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero-tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.