The National Trust plans to invest in conservation over the next 10 years ensuring we continue to care for some of the most important historic buildings and gardens in England. As part of this we are developing new ways of working to ensure we look after our building’s effectively and efficiently.
To help delivery our strategy, we now have an exciting opportunity for an experienced operational facilities leader to join us at the National Trust.
If you are passionate about leading a facilities team in an organisation that cares for and maintains its historic places and properties, keeping them attractive and safe for our staff, volunteers and visitors to enjoy, this role would be perfect for you.
You can find out more about what its like to work as a facilities manager at the National Trust
What it's like to work here
This is a broad and complex role working across a wide portfolio of properties and all with their own bespoke needs. It is a diverse area with each day there will be a new scenario to encounter. It’s about being part of something different, where our cause is at the heart of what we do and where our decisions are always based on thinking now & forever, loving our places, welcoming everyone and making it happen.
Please note this role will be covering the Batman's and Bodiam Castle Portfolio.
The Bateman’s and Bodiam Castle portfolio consists of two very different properties run by one passionate team.
Bodiam Castle is an impressive 14th century moated castle and one of the most famous castles in Britain. The spiral staircases and original features make for an ever-inspiring atmosphere with a strong spring and summer business appealing to tourists, families and school groups from the UK and overseas.
Ten miles away in Burwash nestles Bateman’s, the former home of Rudyard Kipling. This 17th century house remains much the same as the world-famous writer left it. Batemans has a real family feel, with a team who will give you a warm welcome. The garden and landscape at Bateman's provided the inspiration for Rudyard's medical tales in Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies.
What you'll be doing
This role is responsible for facilities management and maintenance management across a group of properties. You will coach, develop and be a leader for your direct team, work collaboratively with other functional leads and build an appropriate volunteer base to support day to day delivery and the delivery of projects.
Utilising your technical expertise in facilities management, and working within National Trust procedures and conservation guidelines, you will be accountable for the management of premises, contractors, equipment and compliance systems to ensure safe, sustainable and cost-efficient operations are delivered on time and to a high and appropriate standard.
You will be responsible for promoting Health and Safety awareness across your portfolio and for ensuring effective environment management is sustained.
You will be in charge of delegated budgets including the management and ongoing review of external contracts. You will have a holistic view of facilities management across your properties, creating and implementing a strategic plan of work, to be able to prioritise, react to unplanned maintenance, analyse performance, provide reporting and statistics and to support your recommendations for more efficient ways of working.
To succeed in this role, we are looking for a strong communicator who can influence and inspire people and to negotiate well. Using your great people and communication skills you will manage internal and external relationships effectively, including your direct team, volunteers, the wider property leadership team and external contractors, enabling you and your team to run an effective facilities management service.
This will be a busy and varied role so were looking for someone who pays close attention to attention the detail, whilst being able to make balanced decisions and take a proactive approach to problem solving.
Please also read the role profile attached to this advert
Who we're looking for
Applications from internal employees who are under notice of redundancy are assessed against the minimum criteria listed below. All other applicants may be assessed against other criteria in the advert and role profile.
Any employees under notice of redundancy who meet the minimum criteria will progress to the next stage. In your application please provide details of how you meet the criteria for this role.
- An understanding of building management and maintenance requirements supported by relevant vocational experience or professional qualifications such as the Institute of Work and Facilities Management – Member Level 4 Certificate.
- Good experience of broad compliance and risk management relating to facilities management. Knowledge of Health and Safety, CDM regulations, Emergency Procedures, Fire and Security procedures and legislation
- Experience of working in business, customer service and / or visitor attraction environment
- Awareness and or understanding of the core purpose and strategic priorities within a Charity organisation
- Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication
- Good People skills and puts importance on outstanding customer service, enabling strong relationships to be built and maintained both internally and externally.
- Experience of managing budgets, finances, projects and contracts/contractors
- Experience of records management and information systems
- Excellent Written and verbal communication skills including influencing, negotiating and presentation
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Generous annual leave
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.